There are many ways to volunteer your talents at Shepherd Home and all are appreciated!
- Our hands-on volunteers work 2-by-2 for four hour shift; providing personal care to our residents and extending hospitality to the residents' family and friends.
- Prospective volunteers have the opportunity to shadow our nurses and other volunteers to acquaint themselves with the care given at Shepherd Home. Formal training is provided by our staff ond on-going workshops are given throughout the year.
- If you have a compassionate heart we will teach you the rest.
- There are many opportunities for anyone who enjoys home maintenance and grounds keeping.
- We are always in need of volunteers to help with plumbing, electrical work, simple repairs, snow shoveling and general home upkeep.
- We welcome help with keeping the interior of our beautiful home shining clean.
- Since we depend heavily on our fundraising events to help meet our annual budget we are always grateful for and in need of volunteers willing to bring their ideas and enthusiasm to the table. Come join our committee and help us to continue our mission of fundraising with community involvement.
Per Diem Nurses
- There are opportunities for nurses with hospice experience to join on our call roster. This would include availability to fill an occasional eight hour weekday shift as well as to be on call for an entire weekend a few times a year. Training is provided.
Board of Directors
- We seek applications from caring people to serve on the board of directors, particularly those with expertise in development and fund raising.
- The board is responsible for defining Shepherd Home’s mission and provides overall leadership and strategic direction to the organization in association with the Shepherd Home staff. Further, the board:
- actively set policy and ensure that the organization has adequate resources to carry out its mission;
- provide direct oversight and direction for the executive director and evaluates her performance;
- evaluate its own effectiveness as a governing body, as a group of volunteers, and as representatives of the community in upholding the public interest served by the organization, and,
- members actively serve on at least one working volunteer committee:
- Community, Public Relations & Information Systems
- Fund Raising
- Human Relations
- Operation of Home & Resident Care
Financial contributions are also greatly appreciated and go directly to resident care and maintenance of the Shepherd Home. Some specific items we can put to good use include:
- Staples gift cards: we can use these to purchase office supplies.
- Apple iPad: we plan to make an iPad available to our residents, many of whom are computer-shy, to provide an easy way to communicate with distant family and friends via email and Skype, to read (or listen) to books and other publications, and to entertain themselves with games, music, movies, and other multi-media apps. We also plan to use an iPad for internal use to process credit cards less expensively than our current system and to use for presentations about Shepherd Home, among other possibilities.
- Paper supplies: we always need TP and paper towels.